Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Your Child Will Follow Your Example, Not Your Advice

I saw a quote on Facebook a LONG time ago that read "Your child will follow your example, not your advice".  Of course that is true, but i've never really felt like it was with my children being so small.

Yesterday I've found this to be entirely too true.  Yesterday was a Monday.  On Monday we have story time at the library, our weekly grocery trip, Homeschool & outdoors time.  Busy day, two restless little bodies.  Our morning storytime at the library, the kids were squirmy as usual.  The grocery store adventure made me cringe.  My daughter absolutely insisted on walking alongside me, rather than riding in the racecar buggy with her brother.  I was SO close to being done with my trip and of course the waterworks began and the screaming started.  I got frazzled and let her walk for a few before realizing that checking out with her on foot would be impossible to do with a smile.  I finally scooped her up, put her back in the buggy and before we reached the checkout she was all smiles again.  

My point is, I know being frustrated isn't a positive example to set for my children.  I'm only human, but I want to be more patient.  It's just gotten so much more difficult with my current health issues & upcoming surgery.  I'm sore if i'm breathing.  By the end of the day, I feel nauseated because I hurt so bad.  But I'm a mommy full-time nonetheless & it is my favorite and most rewarding job.  After all of the running for the day was winding down I caught my daughter playing "Mommy".  Her conversations with her baby went a little like this: "Baby, you leave your diaper on!", "Baby, you okay?", "Baby, you need a blanket?", "Baby, you cryin' all day.", "Baby, you want mommy?", and so forth.  And she changed her baby's diaper & clothes.  I see now that my directions such as "Don't bite", "Don't pinch", and so forth aren't as good as the examples I set.  She sees how I tend to her, what it takes to take care of a baby even though hers isn't real.  I see from this simple playtime that she sees and understands more than i thought a nearly 2 year old could.  


I want my examples from here on out to reflect a more patient mommy.  One who will chill out saying "Hurry" as much.  One who appreciates the fact that during homeschool she colors more table than paper because she's learning.  And one who never ceases to find an opportunity to say "I Love You" and let my children both know how proud of them I am.  Appreciate this time mamas, because little sure doesn't keep!!

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I can definitley relate to the examples. It can be tiring , hard but very rewarding in the end. My son is now 5 and he;s Autistic, I had heart surgery last May and honestly made my parenting very hard for me. Live each day like its a new moment, capture the laughter and smiles, and definitley keep a positive impact on the kids for one day they will grow up =) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have problems with my fallopian tubes & ovarian cysts, as well as some problems with my uterus. I just can't take the medicine for pain except at night so I feel horribly sick all day. It's definitely not as troublesome as yours Trish, I couldn't imagine. You are a tough mama! He will appreciate your sacrifices & having such a strong mama. They are definitely what makes each day worth it & each struggle worth overcoming!

    ReplyDelete