Friday, November 8, 2013

A Lesson About Life & Death

So, at some point in time we know we will have to explain death to our children.  

This past week, I had to have that talk with my sweet Kade, who is 4.  

We let some of our rabbits out of hutches that were very worn down and had decided it was best for them to be free.  Well needless to say rabbits and goats don't share food very well.  We let the rabbits out last Saturday.  Wednesday morning when we got home from drums, I noticed two of the rabbits were laying in the same spot they'd been when we left.  I drove across the yard and jumped the fence.  I found one of the rabbits barely breathing, with some gashes on her neck (apparently from goat horns).  And the second rabbit was breathing fine and I didn't notice blood, so I let him be.  The rabbit that was bleeding passed away of course.  When my daddy got home, we found out that the second had his back legs crushed.  He could only drag himself around and had lost his normal aggression.  I called a vet, wondering if he would make it.  His outcome is good, we have splinted him (despite his efforts to chew them off).  He should make a full recovery.

As for the dead female, Ophelia, she had to have a proper burial.  I explained to Kade that she got hurt by the goats and had died.  I asked him what he thought happened when we died.  He was VERY quick to tell me, "Mommy, we go to Heaven to be with Jesus."  His certainty at such a young age makes my heart swell with joy!! My sweet baby knows that Jesus saves.  During homeschool, we read a lesson out of his bible storybook daily.  He is in church Sunday morning & Sunday evening.  He is blessed with awesome leaders at church who have made it SO clear to him that he is positive of Jesus' love for us.  He was still very confused about the fact that we couldn't go back to the hole the next day and get her out.  But then he insisted we would see her again.  

This lesson was MUCH easier than I thought it would be.  I know when it comes to a loved one dying, it won't be as easy to recover from.  But his faith will carry him through the darkest of things in life.  

Just wanted to share =) SUCH a proud mommy moment!!

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! Thank you for sharing this. How wonderful and Sweet that Kade put his trust in Jesus and knows that Ophelia is happy up in heaven. God Bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry I have just now seen this. Posting constantly from mobile has messed with me. It has made me SO proud how well he has handled the rabbits. The other passed away this weekend and he knew he went to be with Jesus too. My son is going to grow up to be one amazing man who puts all his faith in God. His prayers every night include every one we love. And he always asks questions at Bible time or sometimes even finishes stories as we read. So excited =)

    ReplyDelete