Tuesday, January 31, 2012

JUST A Mom?? Think Again.

Many people who ask me what i do for a living believe that staying at home with my children means i'm like the typical television housewife.  As much as i LOVE Desperate Housewives & Days of Our Lives, my day is not as easy-breezy. I've often been told how "easy" i have it and yes, i do to an extent.  I wouldn't rather be anywhere in the world than with my children, however, it is a very energy-consuming job.  My father, the most hard-working man I know, admits himself that taking care of a child is much more demanding than having a full-time job.  It's the people who often hassle me about when I'm going to get a "real job" and go to work that bug me.

The best thing you can do for your children is to be at home with them. I worked for three months before Kade was one and it was very difficult on Kade & myself to adjust to after being together for the first 8 months of his life.  Finally, it got to the point where it was actually costing us for me to work, rather than benefitting us.  And now, having two kids in daycare is ridiculous.  Between the $400-600 you have to pay out per child to send them, you have to factor in diapers, pull-ups, wipes, bottles, sippy cups, meals & formula to leave at and send to the school.  Then figure out how much gas you'll be using to take them to and from daily in addition to your drive to work and it's very likely that you won't have much of an income afterwards.  I know not everyone is as lucky as myself to be able to stay at home.  I have a husband whose income provides for a family of four by itself.  Also, i'm not much of spender myself.  I don't need an "allowance" to spend on myself.  We are also budgeting since i am staying at home full-time and am able to do so.  All of our money at the end of the month goes towards our dream home we will hopefully have built and be living in within the next two years.  The fact that we have money left over at the end of the month leaves me with a sense of accomplishment that we have managed to make it through the month, with no struggle, and still have something to show for it. I love my family & i only want the best for all of us.

Back to the "easy" days i have.  My typical day consists of 10-20 trips to the potty with my toddler, changing 15-20 diapers, changing 20+ DVDs and shows, preparing approximately 15 bottles & sippy cups, baths for myself and both kids, several outfit changes per child, laying out many meals & snacks for Kade periodically through the day, cooking supper for my husband to come home to after work and preparing his lunch for the following day, dishes, tending to the cat, planning menus and grocery lists, laundry, sweeping, mopping & vacuuming.

Being a full-time mom is a very rewarding and demanding job, even moreso when you do it for a living.  I am my childrens':: alarm clock when we have appointments or playdates, personal live-in chef, maid, teacher & translator, nurse/boo-boo kisser/band-aid applier, disciplinarian, bodyguard, chauffeur, event coordinator, hairdresser, photographer, personal assistant, snuggle buddy, butt-wiper, and in addition i also bring toys back to life via new batteries. So the next time you assume that a stay-at-home mother/housewife lives the luxurious life of those women portrayed on tv, think again.

No comments:

Post a Comment