Monday, September 23, 2013

Judgemental Much??

Today I had an offensive article in my newsfeed as I scrolled through my Facebook today.  It read "8 Ridiculous Reasons Parents Homeschool Their Kids."  I am currently homeschooling my 4 year old and starting to transition my daughter into the mix as well.  I found this list rather judgemental.  

Apparently this woman has narrowed down the reasons why us homeschool moms do so.  I will admit, a few of them are correct, while others are ludicrous. 

I am very concerned that our country no longer wants God in our schools.  My son, who has struggled with speech problems, can tell you all about Jesus & Saul's encounter on Damascus.  He can also memorize his bible verses, and some of his favorite songs are the ones we sing at church.  My children will be raised in a Christian environment.  According to this lady, I'm a "nut" for this. She stated, "There are going to be a lot of places in life where your child shouldn't pray. Time and place, folks, time and place." Seriously? I refuse to send my child to a place where they aren't free to pray.  Jesus is the only hope we have.  He died for our sins, yet i'm wrong to say I don't agree with banning him from our schools.  No way.  This bothers me.  This woman must obviously need to strengthen her relationship with Jesus or seek salvation.  I would never send my children off to school and tell them, "Be sure you don't pray, you may offend someone."

I am just very offended that homeschooling parents are now just considered crazy & "ridiculous". My 4 year old is now reading 46 sight words, learning to sit still for lengthened periods of time, tracing VERY well, and writing and drawing better by the day.  I just ask that all of you homeschool moms, keep your heads up and ignore those who put us down.  We all have the right to decide what we want for our children, down to their education.  I will be praying for all of us, even if some think that we "shouldn't". Have a blessed day, ladies =)

4 comments:

  1. What a great post! I am just a firm believer that we as parents should just focus on what we feel is right for our children. -So that lady who made this list about homeschooling parents should probably just stay focused on her own children. Our daughter is 2 1/2, and we are looking into the K-12 online charter school, and we have already had a few people put give us their input. I just try and remind myself we want what's best of our daughter, and in the end we are their parents! You're doing a great job! Stopping by from bloggy moms. :)

    Stephanie@http://crazylittlelovebirds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. It's so important for us to defend our choice and our right to homeschool our kids. Keep that mindset always! I have many family members who are very much so against me homeschooling. Surprisingly enough the only one who completely supports me doing so is my aunt who is a middle school teacher with a Master's degree =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing post you've written. There are many reasons for parents homeschooling their children. Religious reason i one of them. I am a homeschooling mother of 3 boys (1 of them is part time). I am on the same boat with you for giving more character and spiritual education is more important beyond the academic things. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so concerned for our country and have prayed hard. The fact that wanting to teach your children at home now has become such a bad thing is a bother. But sending them off to school where they're forbidden from praying or possibly even mocked now is too much. I remember openly talking about Jesus in school, praying, and using the words "Under God" in The Pledge. My children won't have to worry about that if I have anything to do with it. Thank you for commenting. I just had to address how we are being mocked for wanting to homeschool and told prayer has a time and place. Because for my babies it will be whenever, wherever!

    ReplyDelete