Tuesday, August 13, 2013

My Son is a drummer...

This time last year, Kade couldn't speak in full sentences.  Thanks to dozens of horribly severe ear infections, he was unable to hear.  He understood his name, knew who his family was & knew what he wanted.  However, his lack of hearing lead to a lack of communication.  This time last summer, he had his first speech eval.  With speech therapy weekly beginning in October.  AMAZING things have happened.  My baby can talk...ALOT.  He's able to speak clearly, sing, pray & communicate in general.  

Last December, Kade sat at his cousin's drum set at Christmas.  It was over.  He insisted he wanted to play.  


Months went by, still he continued to say he wanted to play the drums.  I messaged my cousin's drum teacher.  He starts kids as young as 4.  He ended up getting an opening in April to get us started.  We got our practice pad and got to practicing immediately.


May rolls around. Once he began playing on the drum set, it was love.  He loved it that much more.  That afternoon, I met a lady on Craigslist who had a cheap set, and bought him a set for his birthday.


This past week, we've reached another milestone.  He's learning to cross his right hand over his left to play both the high hat & snare at the same time.  He also learned that he likes AC/DC because it's on Iron Man ;)  I have faith that between his love for learning & his love for the drums, I will be raising a full-fledged rocker!





2 comments:

  1. He is so cute! My husband won't let my two boys get a drum set, they would be so jealous of your son :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When he got toy electronic drums I swore I'd never have a drummer. But when he picked up sticks it was decided. He's learning his first song now and talks about how he's the best drummer ever. It is such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete