Thursday, August 13, 2015

A Homeschool Mama's Lifesaver

Kyleigh has been sitting at the table for three years (the entire time Kade has been doing structured homeschooling lessons.) The first year she had a paci and would absorb everything while coloring. Last year, she did K3 and she had her own time at the table while Kade was between subjects. 

However, this year has had my nerves SHOT. She has been insisting on being at the table while we are doing our lessons. She's picking at Kade constantly while I'm trying to teach. It's been rough. While at soccer camp with Kade last month, a friend of mine asked if I'd heard of distraction boards. A friend of hers bought a trifold project board, pack of crayons & stickers. The youngest then makes the board and has to leave it up to do their work and try to be quiet. 

After searching every dollar store with no luck, I finally found my board at Walmart ($1.97). I have stickers and crayons coming out of my ears at home. Go figure. This was actually FUN for Kyleigh to make. I don't have a finished picture of her board (she's constantly changing and adding things.) 

So far, I will say it's been SO worth it. She finds her board as her hiding space. Of course I got Kade one too. 

Just wanted to throw this out there for any mamas who are clinging tightly to their sanity while trying to school a preschooler and elementary aged child 😉



No comments:

Post a Comment