Monday, February 8, 2016

My First Valance (Hand-Sewn)

This weekend, I finally got fabric to make my master bedroom and master bath curtains and valance.  We have yet to paint the rooms, but the light in the mornings on weekends is just a bit much.  This is a quick tutorial on how to sew a valance.  I had to hand sew this because I have yet to fix my sewing machine. 

First, measure your window & add an additional 15" to the width of your curtain.  You will also want this piece of fabric to be 20" long.  Trim the fabric to this size and press and pin a 1/2" seam along the bottom and the sides of the panel.  On the top, you will want to fold your fabric 3" over.  You will place your first seam of your rod pocket here.  Then, measure down 1 and a half inch from the very top of the panel and sew the other seam for the rod pocket.  

My Fabric of Choice

Sewing the seams.


Finished Product. Again, the color will be changed soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment